Sunday, December 13, 2015

Review: So Sweet by Rebekah Weatherspoon

http://www.amazon.com/SO-SWEET-Sugar-Baby-Novella-ebook/dp/B014OL8TNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450041555&sr=8-1&keywords=so+sweet+rebekah+weatherspoon
So Sweet by Rebekah Weatherspoon

I have to admit I've been in a little reading funk. Lately I haven't read any full length stories because I  haven't had any that really grabbed my attention so I've been reading a whole ton of shorts. I'm a huge fan of Rebekah Weatherspoon because she's such an avid supporter/creator of diversity in romance Especialmente Women of Color who write it.

So Sweet follows Kayla Davis a 24 year old woman who's down on her luck with no job and bills stacking up by the boatload. Her best friend/roommate(also out of work) convinces her to try a Sugarbaby/Daddy dating service in hopes to finding someone who can help out with their bills just until they get afloat. Kayla hits the jackpot when the owner of the dating service, Michael Bradbury(P.S. He's a billionaire) picks her out from the crowd and they hit it off big time.

My thoughts:

I really liked this short story. The first thing that stuck out to me was that Kayla was plus sized and darker skinned which is something I'm always secretly praying for in I/R romance. I think the mixed race, light eyed, long haired trope has been done to death in I/R romance so it's always nice to see una negrita como yo get some love in a book.
 Rebekah's dream Kayla, Danielle Brooks

A huge plus for me was that even the side characters were diverse and Kayla was Bi(even though it wasn't elaborated on) but I realllllllly wanna see more from her homegirl(I read this a while ago so I can't remember her name)the Afro-Cubana because personally that's what I am and I've never read an Afro-Latina in an adult novel before. Ms. Weatherspoon promises she's getting her own book but we'll see, lol.


In terms of plot, the book follows the typical trope of a broke girl that needs money so she tries to find her a billionaire. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the billionaire trope. Particularly because they're always like, 25(Unless you're old money, nice try) and never step foot inside an office. But I think what made Michael different was that he was 49 so him being wealthy was at least somewhat plausible.
Rebekah's dream Michael(Who even I have to admit is hot!) Lasse Larsen 

I'm not sure I really liked Michael. I didn't hate him but I wasn't swooning over him either. She described him looking like a sexy Jesus and I just don't find Jesus sexy lol. I tried to imagine him without that description and it definitely made things easier but I thought him and Kayla were a little ill-matched. I definitely thought they were cute but I didn't feel the connection quite like I thought I would. Kayla was a standout character so I wanted to like her love interest but he was kinda, sorta just okay to me. It made me slightly uncomfy that he was twice her age but she was consenting and was equally attracted to him but it just seemed...awkward.

I was a little bummed that the sex in this one was a little tamer than some of Rebekah's books. I be wanting that heat XD Lmao, so I wish the love scenes would've been hotter. But otherwise they were well crafted and thought out. 

The only thing I really didn't like about the book was the villain. It seemed like they were mad at her for not taking their relationship seriously but they hadn't known each other long and it started out as a Sugar Daddie/Baby relationship so I mean, I kinda didn't blame the villain for doing what she did. It wasn't right and kind of catty but I can only imagine seeing my best friend in Kayla's situation, I wouldn't take a 1 week relationship with a guy twice her age seriously either, lol. Especially since you met him with the intention to pay your bills.

One thing I will say though, Kayla wasn't a slouch. She was the kind of woman I'd have shots with in real life and while her boo was paying her bills, she did not make that as an excuse to stop job hunting and stay on her grind! GOL!

I'd highly recommend this book who readers who love the billionaire trope but want to see how different characters navigate it. She definitely didn't use the same sort of characters to tell this story and that's what made it a gem! Interested? Click on the cover above or here to check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment