Sunday, July 5, 2015

Review: 420 by Kenya Wright

420 by Kenya Wright
June 11th, 2015

Well, we've gotten a new blog design, so we're good to go!

I(Guinevere) will do the honors of doing the first review from the first book I picked up since we created Rebellious Cupid.

I was working on a WIP in between genres. It's a little unconventional, has a girl with more than one potential love interest, who happens to indulge in cannibis every now and then(Im not a smoker myself though XD )and I went to looking if there were any books out there like it.

I wanted to know if there was an audience for something as unconventional as my WIP, and it seemed like the same day I looked for something out there, this came out the exact same day! It's by Kenya Wright, an established author in Romance and Erotica sub-genres. I've never actually read anything from her, so it's interesting that this novella is my first shot!

The story is a non-conventional story retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood." It follows the exploits of "Red" a street artist who is lead to a stoner party by her future love interest "Wolf" or "Lobo" in Spanish, who is unknowingly one of Miami's wealthiest, anonymous street artists.

I liked how it showed me different parts of Miami, since I was born there, with all it's cultural diversity. Wolf was a white Cuban-American, and I liked that he didn't speak fluent Spanish, because believe it or not, not all Latinx do.

Red was mostly cool. I liked her, and that she was an artist. I think the one thing I didn't connect to with her, however, was that her character followed a common trope in Interracial Romance books, and made her fair skinned.

I know sisters come in every color of the shade. We also come in a thousand different ethnicities as well. But I must have read 7 books in a row that featured this trope. All Im asking authors is to switch it up. Black women don't have to just be one skin tone to be considered beautiful, so I wish romance books reflected this.

The story follows the fairytale but in a contemporary way. So Wolf isn't literally a wolf, it's just his street graffiti name.

It addressed racism in it's short amount of pages, which made me like Wolf even more, because he was a conscious White Latinx. You'd think this is a given since Latinx is typically referred to as if it's a race and not a plethora of races, but Latinx can be White too, so they can also have White privilege. Red was really conscious as well, which I also liked, so I felt like they were made for each other, especially because they were both huge stoners XD

The love scene is pretty tame compared to reviews I've read from Ms.Wright, but that's ok, because I wasn't hoping to get something that made me need to take a shower right afterwards XD

Overall, there were both things I liked and didn't connect with in 420. But it'd convince me to read from this author again!



If this book seems like it'd interest you, it can be purchased with this link!

No comments:

Post a Comment